RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vertical climbing tank/rover
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Ralph E Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vertical climbing tank/rover

Mike:
Mucho thanx for your reply. As I say, did NOT think the .049 would produce enough thrust. But as far as prop torque goes, was hoping with aggressively spiked tracks and ample thrust to keep that sucker PASTED to the tree, perhaps I could continuously counter the prop torque with steering input. Naturally, it would be a bit of a chore to keep going in the right direction, but with a lttle practice & maybe a tail rotor or some other means of vectoring a counter thrust, I believe I may be aqble to pull it off. Are you telling me this concept is impossible? It may difficult to counter the prop torque, but other than that, with somewhere around 1.5 - 2 lbs of thrust my little 5"x2.5" 3/4 lb tank should stick like glue to any tree (I hope!) Incidentally, there will be a shroud around the prop with lightweight screen mesh on the intake & probably the exhaust. Also I was thinking that little training wheels mounted to the very outside of the shroud might be useful in deep grooved bark. The question is... how big of an engine will be required to be used in conjunction with the prop I'd like to use to develop my desired thrust? Is there a formula?
Cordially, Ralph Ivey