View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Merlin Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: KMP P-51B "BALD EAGLE"

Hi All,

This is what I said..........
Quote.................
Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the shape of this brand new P51 is not spot on. Now, I realise that the paint isn't even dry yet, but what I see in the only view that shows the front view( on the web site) is that the canopy is too tall where it separates from the windscreen. Also, the depth of the fuse under the windshield is too deep. ( between the wing and the canopy.)

I know there are all sorts of reasons for not being so picky, and many will say" so what" but I reason that (if I am correct ) there may be some time to correct these minor problems. The fuse height is maybe, too difficult and not so important, but it wouldn't take much to make a better canopy.( Otherwise, a Brian Taylor canopy would probably do as it is very close to the right size. ( that is if you can still get a B Taylor Canopy ?! ))

I love the P51 , especially the D, and it frustrates me that kit makers can make mistakes with basic things ( such as canopy shapes ) and spoil otherwise excellent efforts with this plane.

I am impressed with this model otherwise . I think the choice of prototype is excellent, although it's a shame modern technology can't come up with a better representation of natural aluminium than we have so far.

I still say well done KMP and I will save some $$$ for one of these myself.

Cheers,
Merlin Man....................... end quote.

Re-reading what I said about this some time ago and feel that I didn't make it clear enough that these comments/criticisms were levelled at the P51- D model and not the B (which is actually the subject of the thread ) I really do not have any issues with the B model.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.
Cheers,
Merlin Man.