RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rebuilding a 30 year old Dumas DV 40!
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 04:58 PM
ic-racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rebuilding a 30 year old Dumas DV 40!

Here is the To-do list:

1) Radio box (it never had one! I wrapped the radio in a plastic bag!)
2) New engine. (The existing engine was a Fox 45 non-BB. The front bushing is worn out as expected. But this was the only engine I could afford at the time)
3) New strut bearings (see related thread on conversion from needle bearings to lead-teflon bearings)
4) New radio. Nothing fancy, just a Futaba FM reciever.
5) New servos. Again nothing fancy. I have about 15 of the S3004 servos lying around. I'll use two together for the rudder and one for the steering.
6) New flex shaft and new teflon tube.
7) Flex shaft collet. I always wanted one of these. The hardware it had used two grub screws to hold the flex shaft to the engine shaft.
8) New exhaust routing. Now it has a big expansion chamber. This is way too loud for the place I now run. I'm going to use a standard aircraft muffler and route the exhaust out the side, rather than out the back. The outdated Fox 45 made about 1.0 HP with the tuned pipe. The new OS 46AX makes about 1.6 HP with a standard aircraft muffler. So the boat will be both quieter and faster.
9) The flywheel from the Fox fits right on the OS 46AX. The Octura Kool Klamp also fits the new engine.
10) Re-drill the Octura engine mount for the new engine.
11) Shift the engine mount slightly and re-mount it to the hardwood in the hull using fresh holes and fresh stainless steel sheet-metal screws.
12) New silicone fuel and water tubing.
13) New rubber stopper for the Du-Bro tank.