RCU Forums - View Single Post - CMP Super Chipmunk 52
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM
VeeAte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP Super Chipmunk 52

The landing gear breaks very easily.
Yes breaks.

I fly off a grass runway and on one very smooth landing one of the wheels hit a small hole just on touch down and the whole landing gear leg snapped off near the wing.

There was a huge gap either side of where the rudder goes through the tail of the fuse. I filled this with balsa. I had flutter on the vertical stabiliser until I fixed this.

Lots of play in the elevator pushrod. I cut a slot in a piece of ply and put that on the rear former over the pushrod to stop it flexing so much.

You can't use full rudder deflection or the elevator fowls the bottom of the rudder. This makes taxiing nearly impossible if you have to turn.

The standard single servo aileron torque rods were WAY too flexible. I fitted a servo to each wing for the ailerons. MUCH better roll rate and no flutter

I am sure more will come to me.

Mine is flying fine now and I got it cheap. So expected to have to do some work to get it flying.
Have seen a lot worse ARF's.

I think the CMP version lets you use a standard muffler on a 2 stroke. There is a cutout at the bottom of the firewall. If you look inside the fuse of the willhobby version you will see the cutout is in the timber part of the firewall, but not in the fibreglass itself.
I think the CMP version comes with a tinted canopy with the frame painted.