RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hirobo SRB Quark
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 02:46 PM
FR4-Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hirobo SRB Quark

Dave,

Thanks for the tip. I did check the tail fin & gears and everything seems to be okay. The more I fly, the more I see what's going on: When the heli is first powered up the rudder trim needs to be in the middle - as the manual states. As I fly (actually, hover in the living room) over a few minutes, I keep having to add more and more right rudder trim, eventually until it's pegged as far as it will go. At this point, if I land, turn off the heli, turn it back on and try to fly I have excessive right rudder and thus must return the trim to the middle, where the cycle starts all over again. I might try the factory reset or tweaking the gyro, but I would like a little more confidence in it's handling (and my ability to handle it) before doing this though. Regardless, it's awesome!

I had great success today - took it outside this morning did okay except for when it hit the brick wall of my house due to an unexpected gust (and my inexperience). It fell behind the bushes and I dreaded what I would find - a single scratch on the canopy! I had lightly laminated the blades (regular wide clear tape, not the reinforced super-duper packaging tape) - they survived! This thing is really built well, no doubt. The rest of the day is spent inside hovering and playing with that rudder ... Lots of take offs and landings (really clears the dust off of everything in the room). That faint but sometimes not so faint chopper sound is really cool.

It's like trying to control a pendulum suspended from about 200 feet in the air - lots of swaying back and forth to keep track of and attempt to correct. I like it, but man is it nerve racking - I think I actually stop breathing while it's in the air!

-John