RCU Forums - View Single Post - using expanding foam in built up wings
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: using expanding foam in built up wings

ORIGINAL: bjor

Hi Guys. I recently acquired a 100" edge. The previous owner had the plane and wings stores in a back shed. On closer inspection I've found that one wing was a source of mouse food. It appears that they have gnawed their way through a lot of the formers towards the wing tips - from about 3/4 of the wing down. The structural integerity of the wing seems fine, but I would like to offer some reinforcement to the ends of the wing.
Can I insert some of that expanding foam into the wings to give some added support? I could do this by applying a long nozzel to the end of the wing and draw the foam nozzel back towards the wing opening. I am concerned though that the foam will expand and push or distort the top and bottom of the wing where it's not sheeted. Any idea's would be great.

The Dow Chemical Company makes a product called "Great Stuff" polyurithane foam in a can. There is expanding and non-expanding versions and can be found in most any home improvement/hardware store. I used the expanding type around a pre-hung garage entrance door once and had to beat the bejesus out of the door frame with a 2 x 4 and a hammer so that the door would close. I have not tried the non-expanding type but that should do the job. It should add a-lot of structural integrety to your wings and sticks like CA glue. Good idea. If you buy the expanding stuff just save yourself a-lot of time and money and trash the plane or build a new wing. You WILL ruin your wing with the expanding stuff no matter how many holes you drill in the covering. Trust me.

Bill