RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Gary... The USL is a favorite here and it unfortunately roosted in a tree and sheered off a wing among the damage. I'd hoped to replace it but found it discontinued so it has been rebuilt but not yet recovered (too many spring chores). I will buy another and lay it back as the USL gets twice the fly time as all the rest of the planes in the hanger combined for a variety of reasons.

1. It is a stick so is simple with no cowl or canopy.
2. It is a good windy day flier.
3. A small gas engine makes it economical to fly (typically 5-6 oz) of gas, usually requires no clean up and is very easy to start by hand so all I need at the flight line is a small gas can and the transmitter.
4. It flies great. If one wants to fly it like a Cub, it will. If one wished it to be fully aerobatic... it will do that too and it will do both those and more with all the same setup except popping the crow switch on the transmitter.
5. For a bigger plane, it requires very little runway. The quad aileron/flaps will yield very short takeoffs in the six foot range and landings in 20-30 ft or it can be flown like a typical sport airplane.
6. Even though the wing is one piece, it is easy to transport and setup takes only a minute to bolt the wing in place and because it is a high wing there is no flipping of the large plane to get at wing bolts or removing a canopy.

It is simply a no hassle but great flying machine.