RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carl Goldberg Kits
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 08:16 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Kits

CG kits are a transition kit design, they were produced with die cutting, at the time was a time saving measure, and back then the wood supply was excellent and plentifull. But as balsa has gone up in cost and measures to keep the price down, balsa quality suffers. Plus another factor is these kits weren't designed in cad, they were modernized builders planes, sig still sells them to this day, they call them craftsman kits, you have to cut out the printed balsa sheets, just like they did when sig started. Now fast forward to 2007-2008ish, great planes buys carl goldberg models, but the plans were scanned and translated to cad, pro-E or solid works. So the lazer cutting is a intervention of Great planes on carl goldberg models, but the execution was poorly done. Almost all CG models I've ever had always needed more work than a cad designed plane to build right, the wood quality is a major negative factor, but if you stick with it, the plane will be one of the niceset and truest flying planes you'll have. They didn't need to jazz them up because the designs were aerodynamicly proven designs that were correct and stable. So the general plane is good, but the quality of the materials are keeping it from being great. Have you noticed how the ultimate bipe is a wonderfull plane, because it was not designed by rube himself. The work put into assembly of the plane was well done. Of course this is my own 2 cents on CGM, I like them and always will, but sig is still above them in quality, and now Great Planes is better designed than carl goldbarg in fit and finish, but Carl goldberg is more durable and honest a flying plane.