RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

1/6th scale F4U Corsair group build is the name of that thread. As far as an engine, if it isn't a sexy, noisy, smoky, oily, cantankerous, powerful, and respectfully dangerous reciprocating model airplane engine...I'd just as soon play around with flight simulators (much cheaper). In light of that, I get a few of those qualities from an O.S. FS 120 Surpass four-stroke motor (for this size plane). It has a nice sound, swings a big prop, pretty darn good power (the same throughout the entire flight unlike electric), not too contankerous (well not quite as brainless as electric operation), and if you have gotten to work in your automobile without an accident in the last year...then it is only slightly dangerous in my book (pay attention). Much cheaper in the not-so-long-run compared to electric. If I had been buying batteries and fancy support equipment for electric motors for the last 35 years, I'd be living in a mud hut folding paper airplanes buy now! I don't want hate mail but; e-flite is great for a nice purest power glider, semi-scale park putter, or something. I just wouldn't buy a Harley if it had an electric motor...and I don't want my warbird models to be similarly castrated.

Oh...and if you do want to go electric, go for it! I just am offering a personal opinion based on your question. Someone is bound to offer electric advice.