RCU Forums - View Single Post - I ground looped another cub
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 05:04 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I ground looped another cub

I remember my first attempts at a take-off with a Cub which at times I think was demonically possessed by its ground antics. It definitely didn't handle as nicely as a Smog Hog, that's for sure.

The technique I was told to use has served me well over the years. Start off with full up elevator and throttle closed. As you bring up the throttle let off the elevator so when you hit 1/2 throttle you're off the elevator. Let the plane pick up speed and then give it a touch of elevator to lift off. Even works for a Citabria/Decathlon too! The up elevator keeps the tail wheel on the ground for directional control until enough speed is built up for the rudder to be effective which is about the same time as you are off the elevator.

Or you use the technique I used for my Pilot .25 size Cub (that's the demonically possessed one). It was almost impossible to ROG since the gear was so soft and bent all out of wack so I just hand launched it. Every landing usually required re-bending the gear no matter how gently it was landed.

Hogflyer