RCU Forums - View Single Post - Slightly OT - pulsejet static vid.
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 11:53 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Slightly OT - pulsejet static vid.

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

That was just a bird that the engine was digesting.
It reminds me of the doomsday machine in Star Trek.. looks about the same if you peer in the intake as it's running, I wonder if someone on the special effects team owned a Dynajet.

You know, I should try firing a bug down the intake next time I fire one up.

Actually yes, he is throttling it in this video. You can probably throttle it down about 40% in the air, but since it is strictly fuel flow the mixture goes haywire. Here, the video is supposed to demonstrate that you can throttle it down to something like 2 pounds thrust. That's fine running static, but try that with 150mph air howling through the intake and I bet it flames out instantly. I don't think they've flown their prototype yet. I spoke with someone with much pulsejet RC air time, and he said he uses the fuel flow more to adjust the mixture to his liking in the air, adding that on down lines he gives it full fuel flow, and as it slows down in climbouts or high-g maneuvers he would pull the stick back to keep the mixture from going too rich.

Speaking of throttling, I got a toy in the mail today. Gonna need a bit bigger delta than the Demon for this. Not much tho'..

p.s. PSP ought to take note here - not only will their test stand easily hold a pulsejet as seen here, but with two plywood tabs the turbine will bolt right in. Cool. Fire and noise party tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23307.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1191000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59394.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1191001