RCU Forums - View Single Post - Problems with AFPD on new PC
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 AM
mikehoulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problems with AFPD on new PC

Rich
I have a similar hardware setup as yours, without the TV. But I am running XP Pro 32 bit. Just possibly, your problem is with XP Pro 64. Remember it was criticised quite heavily for failing to run a number of 32 bit applications. I can't give you references now.

I would be interested to know how your memory utilisation is going with a 64 bit system. I estimated that the runtime image in RAM of any 32 bit data or code would have to be doubled when run under a 64 bit system. So my guess(!!!!) was that AFPD run under XP 64 would need twice the RAM it uses under XP 32. As my mother board would support only up to 8 Gb of RAM, I didn't see the advantage of a 64 bit system over a 32 bit system with 4 Gb of RAM. But note, 4 Gb of RAM is reduced to 3.25 Gb of usable RAM under XP Pro 32. I also thought that the speed advantage of the 64 bit OS running on Quad processors would be lost in conversion costs from converting 32 bit code instructions to 64 bit instructions at runtime.

All these are my assumptions. It would be great if you could prove or disprove them.

The Wildberg multi-pane scenery is fantastic on a large LCD screen. I live in it!!!!

Best wishes
Mike