RCU Forums - View Single Post - SPA engine/plane selection
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SPA engine/plane selection

ORIGINAL: rangerman

Well, spur of the moment bit me in the a##. I had a set of Tiporare plans and saw how easy it was to build so at lunch I decided to got with it. I went to my friends to cut some foam wings. Here's where it bit me, I didn't know what the 'actual wing tip is 1-3/8" forward' note meant it was not a straight trailing edge but after I cut the wings I figured it out. That's fine we cut it out of blue foam and it's a bit heavy so I'll try the white and use the blue for the horizontal stab.
If you are talking about flying in SPA competition, the Tipo is not SPA-legal. It came along after the Jan 1976 cut-off date. Several people fly the Curare, and a very nice ARC is produced by Steve Byrum. The Daddy Rabbit is a very popular plane, as is the WM Intruder ARF, (for those who want to get out there quickly). It isn't perfect in the upper classes, but it is competitive. The newer models on the block for 2009 are the Deception and Compensator. Both are produced in a partially built state, and plans can be had. The Dirty Birdy is also a popular choice. I know it is kitted by Blue Jay, and an SPA member manufactures a light version of this plane.

6 to 7-1/2 pounds is about the weight they should be. All the models are wood to the best of my knowledge. The O.S. .91 4-stroke is the standard engine, and is often flown on a 13X8 to 13.5X9 Narrow APC prop. The general feeling is that verticals are BETTER with the 4-strokes.

Go to the SPA website, and get on the Discussion List to get all the advice you'd ever want....and more.

Duane