RCU Forums - View Single Post - what is te faa up to, rules for us?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 AM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is te faa up to, rules for us?

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

S3Info
[quote:"s3"]so where did this off the wall question come from?
uh... from SUAS 3.3.5?

Did the FAA suddenly get into the "Electric 2/60 is safe but Nitro 2/60 isnt " crowd,
or maybe some lame excuse for safety makes quiet planes less likely to hazzard full size aviation.

Is there any wonder where 2/60 Electric Only came from?

I am embarassed as an American to have the FAA entertain the notion
that its ok to fly 2/60 in XXX proximity to full size Aviation,
but nitro planes of the exact same performance and activity are to be prohibited
[/quote]

Now, now, KE............it's just possible that some non-modeler on the sUAS ARCwas concerned that you might be inclined to use use tetranitromethane in your fuel (ps, Iwanted to try that but the only supplier Icould find is in Canada......anybody know where I can buy American?). That's a rocket fuel oxidizer that has a propensity for exploding violently when mixed with organic fuel compounds, not to mention being carcinogenic.... but wait, maybe that's the problem.......if it blows up in the path of a manned aircraft it could be a cancer hazard to its occupants. Same goes for gaseous boosts and metal props......there could be some tie-in to creating a hazard to navigation by full-scale aircraft...........whatever that might be escapes me but whatever it is can't happen if your model has electric power...........I think..........nobody sells metal props for electric powered model airplanes do they? Whatever, while this may be confusing to us hoi polloi, trust that our AMA is doing what is best for us members, others that have an interest in model aviation .....well maybe not so much for them there heathens that don't belong to AMA........, and the betterment of all mankind. And do heed the admonishment in AMA's broadcast Email "While there may be other sources of ARC information available to you, the only true source for accurate information is Model Aviation and AMA Web site." Anything you read here in RCUis bravo sierra, including this post and yours. Greg Hahn was right, but a little shortsighted............we are all Bottomfeeders. Welcome to our fraternity........except for red.

Abel

edit: tried to correct for format, gave up. This new editor is something shi.........er.........different.