RCU Forums - View Single Post - what is te faa up to, rules for us?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 06:20 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is te faa up to, rules for us?

as one person noted there never has been a mid-air between an RC airplane and a full size, has there?
Just for factual accuracy, I visited the headquarters of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) last year. One of our club members is a VP over there. He showed me several pictures of full scale private aircraft that had collided with model airplanes. Luckily, none of the collisions resulted in loss of the full scale aircraft, but the risk is real.

Unfortunately, there are many people out there that are not playing by the rules that have been established. This is whats driving the FAA, and why the ARC is recommending two parts of the rule- one for those that will follow AMA, and one for those that won't.

Our field is outside the 3 nm radius from our local airport (normally uncontrolled). Many of the pilots that fly from there are aware of our field, and often come out and circle our field a few times if people are flying. Yes it drives us a little crazy, and we stay well away from them. But it does help prove we can peacefully coexist in the same airspace as long as we follow the rules.

Brad