RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Dave,

That muffler will work perfectly now. The problem is (was) the downtubes oscillate and the thin material of themain chamber must absorb the forces. Eventually is just failed. The cross brace he installed will make the muffler bulletproof. I don't know why more manfacturers don't install bracing like that. It would make the muffler significantly stronger for a minimal weight and production time increase. Maybe they just think it is ugly...

On my plane, I installed the engine and installed the servos. I am having a problem with the rudder as I have a straight servo arm (JR aluminum triple-clamping arm, had it on hand) but the attachment point on the rudder horn is nearly a half-inch aft of the hinge line. This leads to an unbelievable amount of slack in the rudder cables when the rudder deflects. i honestly believe the plane is unflyable in this condition. I have set up rudder cables many times and if the offsets match the cables will stay taut (i.e. connection points at the servo and at the rudder control horn are set an equivalent distance aft of the plane of the pivot - servo centerline and hinge line).

I am going to either try to find replacement control horns (just need the plastic "flag" part) like the Dubro heavy-duty setup to put the attachment point directly at the hinge line, or if forced to I will just get a new offset servo arm (likely an SWB). Anybody have comments regarding the rudder pull-pull?

Brett

**edit** Alternatively, does anybody know where I can get an offset horn like the one that comes with the plane? I purchased my plane used and the rudder horn (that bolts to the servo arm) wasn't included. Ihave used them beforeand they were easy to setup - just match the offset and drill a mounting hole. I have seen pictures of these (either stamped aluminum or steel or carbon fiber) but now can't remember where to buy them.