RCU Forums - View Single Post - propane weedeater engines in planes?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: propane weedeater engines in planes?

Iwas trying to find a manual for it, but come up empty handed. I did find a feedback about the manual saying to use the full 2.7 p oz of oil shipped with it and in fact the crank case only hold 2 oz, so oil was coming out all over.

This means it's a wet crank case, which also means it may not like long inverted flight or some of the other crazy stuff we do. I don't think the regulator on the tank is an issue, there has to be a shutoff for the trimmer, I'm guessing the carb is the regulator. There isn't much pressure in a propane cylinder.

I've got to tell on myself here, When I moved from NY out here to CA, the moving company made me empty the tank on my gas grill. Thinking it was just a mater of leaving the regulator off and opening the valve, I did just that. After about two hours, I had only lost about 5% of the tank. "oh yes, I say to self, it "Liquid"', so I just pick up the tank and set it down upside down. Whoshh, out comes the propane. Then I looked down in the little valley behind my house and I discovered the Propane/LPG is heaver than air and there was this huge fog bank of propane, about an acre of of just setting there. I was sure that there was not going to be a need for the moving van that was to show up the next morning. All I could see was this huge blast when all the propane mixed with all that air ignited. Luckly nothing happened, and none of the neighbors called the fire department. I think I may have found a way to wipe out the local insect population though.

Don