RCU Forums - View Single Post - Battery Pack Mounting Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 09:08 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Battery Pack Mounting Advice

ORIGINAL: TedMo

First of all it seems to me that many folks are going overboard on battery size,why? Of course if you use digital servos you do use more current. How long do you wish to fly? If desire more flights why not bring another packAlso with pack that far foreward, over tank; it seems plane would be nose heavy with that large pack. largest pack I have ever used is 1700ma and can fly forever with that pack. Seems same thing is happening with Tx batteries must be over 1500 ma,why? I'm from the really old school also and we had only 600- 800 ma packs but worked fine then. By the way I fly a very active flight but usually only 3 -4 flights in a day. At 83 I tire fast haa.

Hi, TedMo.

Most R/C transmitters use microprocessors today, which is one reason why the TX batteries are growing larger from demand.

Some of the 2.4 GHz receivers are sensitive to low voltage, which triggers a reset of the CPU and a temporary loss of control for sufficient seconds to crash the model. Two or three (or four or five...) digital servos under a bit of a load can drag the Rx battery pack voltage down below the reset point for the receiver. It's good insurance to simply use a larger battery capacity, especially when new technologies permit you to get twice the capacity of an equivalent weight/size Nicad battery.

Ed Cregger