RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMPS hulls & outboards pics & tips {Agnew Model Propulsion Systems}
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 AM
BobAgnew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMPS hulls & outboards pics& tips

Hi guys

Sorry to have dissapeared off the scene for a few weeks.

Several months ago I was asked by a couple of you guys if I would consider bringing back some of the AMPS products.
It was an attractive idea but I have been tied with a couple of businesses up so could not give it much time. During the last couple of weeks however Ihave been approached by a friend who has a very sophisticated CNC machine shop and is looking for new products.

The outcome is that we have been looking at a number of the products and think that they could be produced without breaking the bank - That is a relative term of course as making anything in small quantities is always going to be more costly than volume. We will also need to work out how best to get them to market and support them.

The question is "which products" and what scale?

It appears to me that there is a limited need for spares for the old 1/8 scale outdrives and outboards. These include gears, and lower units - is that correct? Are there any other parts that everyone needs.

Ihave also watched the thread on cowlings - the problem with that was there there were so many variants. We could however make them for GRP injection if it was not too many different types. - Any comments.

As regards new units it appears that the 1/4 scale size is the size to start. We ciould do both outdrives and outboards with and without power trim. Ialso have the original designs for the KAAMA - Arneson drive.

What Ineed for the outboard is to decide on the engine. For reliability Iwould not choose something that is too highly tuned but it does need a reasonable power output.

It needs to be water cooled (although we can do that) and ideally it should and dumpy be as short as possible so that we can keep the CoG down and maintain the cowls scale appearance. It also makes it easier to include a tuned exhaust.

Any feed back would be of interest and helpful.

Regards to you all

Bob