RCU Forums - View Single Post - No Nelson
Thread: No Nelson
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No Nelson

sorry my bad here...I wasn't clear enough. 

I was not saying race FAI planes.  When people ***** and moan about cost due to crashing (mid-airs..hence "disposable" planes...)   I was saying race one at a time.  If you only have one plane in the air, you can't hit anyone. common sense tells you that.

FAI expenses.... I've spent FAR LESS on FAI then I every have on Q40 and Q500.   Mostly because you don't crash much in FAI (that has to be because you don't race side by side, and you launch 1 second apart).  The engines are about $125 more in FAI, and you do have to spend $80 on a pipe.  So that's $200 more all together, than a Nelson.  The engines however, are more durable than any Q40 engine out there. If you burn a piston, it's about $50 bucks for a new piston, no liner change. Heads are $25 - $30 bucks.  Planes will run you $750 - $1200... (my last Proud Bird was $800 painted)  Most FAI planes are painted in the mold.  Same radio gear as Q40 and Q500, so no change.   Props are about $20 - $40 range. They are full carbon layed up in a mold, they last forever. And you could make your own like we do.

AGAIN... I wasn't saying to race FAI planes.  I too enjoy watching us smash our crap in the ground. It's hilarious! 

RB