RCU Forums - View Single Post - AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!

...cont'd
I retrieved the bird yesterday and completely disassembled it down to bare and empty. I couldn'tidentify the specificproblem but, I still suspect the control linkage slipped on one elevon. I plan to resolve that issue by using metal clevises on the ends of the push rods. I've soldered them on one of my birds already and it makes the linkage much easier to adjust ....and there is no slippage.
I was surprised to find that all of the electronics still work with the exception of my 3s LIPO ....dead as a door nail. No signs of anything overheating, motor still works fine, etc. ....the majic blue smoke is still in there. Ihave straightened the fuselage using a hair dryer and various tools to push the plastic back into shape. The tail boom and tail "feathers"are fine ...no damage however, the wing took some real punishment and may not be repairable. Ihaven't inspected it for repair yet. (this bird gets uglier every week ).Good thing Ihave two new spare wingsand a source for a 3rd one.
I used cotton loose weaved cloth soaked in 6 minute epoxy to re-inforce the split seam in the bottom of the fuselage and it appears to be holding well. The next hard landing will bethe test for this cheap andlight weightrepair.
I've decided to leave the landing gear completely off this bird. It just gets in the way on landing andadd****g.
I should have it flying again in about a week. I needto fabricate a new electronicsmounting board and may order a coroplast tail for it ...altough the stock tail is holding upvery well (so far).