RCU Forums - View Single Post - Unfortunate crash video of a new DeHavilland Mosquito Twin
Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 PM
osxpro
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Unfortunate crash video of a new DeHavilland Mosquito Twin

GYROS saved my twin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a 62" OV-10 bronco with twin Saito 40's that I've been flying for 3 years now. This is actually the second one - let me explain. I first bought this plane as an arf (Rich Uravich) 52" bronco which I outfitted with the saito. On the 20th or so flight I lost an engine and it yawed quite violently. Needless to to say it crashed in an uncontrollable spiral. I purchased another bronco but this time it was a kit. When I built the new kit, I realized that if I installed a Gyro in the rudder that it may help in the event of a failed engine. Sure enough!!!! Around the 30th or so flight, I lost an engine. THis time though, instead of a hard yaw, the gyro dampened the plane and it gave me enough time to realize which engine failed. While I was not able to fly it all the way in to the LZ, I was able to sit her down easily enough avoiding damage.
Since then I have lost an engine 2 more times - All the with the same results... The rudder Gyro gave me the time I needed to fly it in without a death spiral.

I have two twins now and I'm a firm believer in Tail Gyros. Not only do they prevent a hard yaw during engine loss, the gyro also helps with crosswinds etc.

BTW, The gyro I use is the JR G500A Airplane gyro.

P.S.,one more thing! The gyro makes a twin fly like it's on rails!!!!!!