RCU Forums - View Single Post - Unfortunate crash video of a new DeHavilland Mosquito Twin
Old 06-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Larry175
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unfortunate crash video of a new DeHavilland Mosquito Twin

The problem is, in my opinion, mostly one of recognition of the engine failure and having a prepared mental plan on tap for that problem. Also,
any discussion of this situation is airplane dependent, that is to say some twins are very forgiving, most are not.

This can be really tough when you're not in the cockpit......and sometimes tough even when you're in a full scale twin.

I have limited experience with engine-out flying on a RC twin......but did survive. My protocol was to not take the airplane too far away from me so
that I could better recognize an eng failure.....expecially if I were going to idle the engines. Never idle the engines except at an altitude
where you can make a constant descent to the pattern and then to the runway. For obvious reasons avoid the temptation for a lot of low-level flying.
Always be expecting an engine failure......look for it....listen for it....plan on it.

If you have a friend with you brief him/her on your protocol and tell him to help you listen/look for an eng failure and then to prompt you by
literally yelling at you "1/2 throttle max, nose not above level attitude, no steep turns, put the gear down, you look high, etc......". In other words
a good copilot could help you save the airplane.

When you in fact recognize an engine failure you must impose two things (again, my opinion): 1- Reduce the good engine to 1/2 throttle and do not at
any time use more than that.....if it means landing off-field then do it and try to mimimize the damage. 2- Put the airplane in AT LEAST a level flt
attitude (to the natural horizon) and do not pitch above that attitude.......again this may force you to an off-field landing if you are too far away and/or
too low.

Now for the remainder of the flight consider that you are flying a powerless glider and the remaining engine at half-throttle will be like extending spoilers when you're
certain you have the field made and are slighly high. When you are certain you have the runway made and are slightly high or fast or both, then reduce the good engine to idle and do not touch that throttle again. Make the best of the result landing even if you're off the side or off the end.

Unless you are very experienced at this and your airplane is very forgiving, any thought of a go-around is preposterous.

Don't forget the gear.

My last comment: If you are going to built a beautiful and valuable twin, first built a simple and ugly twin, one that you can wipe out
without wiping out a part of your "self". Practice a lot with it and if you don't have any engine failure then make them happen by filling
one tank 1/2 and the other 1/4, then go fly until one quits. Work on recognition then immediately 1/2 throttle and nose level and now
your flying a glider then when you get lined up on final reduce to idle and land. When you can do that consistently maybe you'll
have a better chance saving that next beautiful airplane.

My 2 cents.....Larry Church