RCU Forums - View Single Post - STAR WARS Tie-Fighter Interceptor Build?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:57 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: STAR WARS Tie-Fighter Interceptor Build?

Okay so heres an update. I been out of town for the past week and just got home last night. Going to leave Monday morning so wont be able to do more flying until then.

Finally I had the chance to mount my new motor and give it a shot. Right before I left I made up my motor mount hardware and put everything together and let the glue dry. Well a full week later I am back home and was able to bolt it together. The motor mount for this motor was an "X" mount. I had to think up of a way to mount that onto a hollow carbon rod. I came up with what I thought was a cool idea and it worked out pretty well I think. I will post some pictures if others have a need to mount from an "X" to a rod.

I went to Home Depot and bought an assortment of plastic funnels. I chopped off the main part of the funnel and kept the thin narrow part. I went with the funnel because that allowed me to adjust the size of the opening to go on the carbon rod by cutting off a section. I made round foam donuts funnel shaped and put those inside to keep it from wobbling. I held those in with Gorilla Glue. The motor plate I made out of thin ply and double layered it. Cut it into a circle and bolted motor right to that. I glued on 4 wedge shaped blocks for the screws to set into once inside the funnel. Looks pretty good and feels pretty solid. So that solved my motor mount problem.

Okay so as for flying. I had to wait all day long for the wind to die down. Finally right before sun down the wind calmed down enough to get a flight in. With my CG set new motor mounted and fully charged battery I powered up. This new motor has some serious power! At half throttle I could let go and it would hover. Well if I had rudders it could haha. I blasted full throttle to feel how hard it pulled and when I did it blew off my canopies. lol. So I need to add some more magnets to keep those on.

Okay as for the flying. Right off i seen that I need to adjust my motor thrust angel. I thought I had it where it was before but it was a tad to high. Not a problem I can easily fix that. But with it nose up I could not use very much throttle without it wanting to loop over. I had to use a good bit of down elevator to keep it level when adding throttle so there was a bit of porpoising. But like I said an easy fix and cant wait to get it worked out.

I flew around a bit then decided to come in to land. This is where it got tricky. Before I was able to keep it high alpha and keep the throttle on and mush it in and settle on its tail. But this time I more or less had to come in with no power. Every time I added power I wanted to nose up and it was just weird so the power off method is what I went with with a rough landing. I don't like not having throttle control on landings but after my motor is adjusted down some that will fix that.

I did get a video with my phone. I had my son take it while I flew around. The quality is horrible but that is all I have for right now. I will get some higher resolution ones here soon and post those on You Tube. But here is a video for now. You can notice the canopies are off but it still has the shape in the air. Everything was pretty much invisible on the parts I tried to so it looked pretty good in the air. So heres the video and some pictures of my motor mount.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Tie-Fighter-Interceptor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68846.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1222282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78344.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1222283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23965.jpg
Views:	15