View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

A follow-up post to my last one, here are the standard specs on the SIG Sun Dancer 50CC Bipe.

Wing span - 71.5 inches

Wing area - 1668 sq inches

Length - 66 inches

Flying weight 17-18 pounds

wing loading 23 ounces/sq foot.

Engine: 3.2 (50CC) to 4.2 (70CC)

Those are the specs. Knock a pound or two off, or maybe three, and it might change things. Obviously it won't have the B^lls to the walls power of a 50 or 70CC, but it has a ton of wing, so I'm weighing it out this way and that way. If it equals or can exceed the power of a 42CC then it appears it would do a fine job of flying the Sun Dancer around. It would certainly reduce the wing loading, which would in turn reduce the actual requirements due to reduced overall weight.

It sure has me scratching my head and thinking about it..... This might be what I've been looking for.

But just like when I sit around with my flying buddies, I'm interested in other opinions on this combination. Heck, that's half the reason we're in this hobby. Doing it alone would be boring!

Thanks

Jim
This engine won't be enough for the Sundancer. I don't think you would be happy. I friend had a DZY48cc twin in one and it did not have unlimited vertical. It was spinning a 20x8 Xoar. When taking off he could go vertical for about 80 feet and then have to level off. When powering a bipe, you just can't look at the all up weight. You have to remember that there is alot of drag to overcome with the extra wing, cabanes, and interplane struts. Looking at the RPM numbers provided for this engine, I would not put it in a bipe weighing over 14 pounds. Keep it in a bipe around 11 to 12 and you'll have a nice hotrod. 13 to 14 would be scale like.
I appreciate the thoughts, but Hotrods I've got by the dozen. Unlimited vertical I've done......but really never cared about. Except when I fired off Estes rockets as a kid. Sweet flying bipes.....those are things of beauty. I'm willing to bet that the Sun Dancer with this powerful 30CC will fly much like my SIG Hog Bipe used to with its Saito .91.......sheer majesty. It might even have a little more than that.....either way it's how I like them to fly. I'm going to focus on this and see if it's what I am looking for......I've been looking for a very specific combination for this.

Understand also that I already have a new 3MM TOC 53CC gasser with a canister if the numbers and results on this don't pan out. I'm set either way.

Jim