Thread: RC Surfer
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 07:55 PM
sukeroku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

ORIGINAL: TechyJoe

sukeroku

Are you really from Japan? Where exactly? This is so cool ! We have Spain, Japan and the US. Your English writing is superb. How did it get so good?

Anyway, if you read many of the posts here you can get a good idea of some good setups. Mine cost me about $150.00 US dollars but I used a Radio I already owned and a battery pack I already owned from model airplanes.

Here would be my total cost if I purchased everything together:

1) Lisa Surfer: $40.00
2) EZ-Run 540 Brushless motor $60.00
3) Etti Water cooled ESC with BEC (you want BEC) $60.00
4) 2 channel 75mhz Am radio $50.00
5) 2200mah Lipo Battery $40.00

$250.00
This does not include the Lipo Battery Charger

Go back and start to read from page 10 of this thread. I tried to outline all of the steps I performed from the start so others would not need to encounter the same issues as me. Do not use the Vaseline idea - it was not so good. Use the seal material that SurfCurls presented.

Also, try Ebay for a Kyosho Surfer.
I live in Japan, Yokohama to be exact but I'm an American expat (born and raised in NJ). Hopefully, my English is pretty good. My Japanese is also pretty good and I can navigate Japanese websites with little difficulty. E-bay is not big here, instead we have Yahoo Auction. I've looked around quite a bit and haven't had any luck finding a real Kyosho Surfer here...yet.
I'm plannng on assembling my Surfer here and then bringing it back to the States to play with while on vacation in late July. My brother in law has a decent RC car setup so I will probably have a decent transmitter and charger available (not sure if its a Lipo or a NiCad). While my Japanese is quite good I am a little concernied with the RC terminology in Japanese. Just to clarify your setup suggestions:

1) NQD Surf Lisa...I have reread all the pages on this forum and I am really tempted to go with the Board Shark but I think if I can seal the Surf Lisa deck, fill the figure with plumber`s foam, and attach the lead to the keel then I will be in good shape. The articulated figure on the Board Shark appears to be a pain as well as the issue with the gear box).

2) 540 Brushless...do I go sensor or sensorless? Also, I understand that it shoould be water cooled. (BTW what is a water jacket?) Finally there is this 19T business (my understanding is that this has to go with power vs speed). I need to be pretty specific here since i will be going to discount hobby shops and communicating in Japanese (any Japanese brand recommendations).

3) Watercooled ESC with BEC...Reading this thread it appears that 40A appears to be sufficient. (Still trying to understand what BEC is/does but I know I need).

4) Transmitter...Is the unit that comes with the NQD Sur Lisa inadequate? Again, perhaps, my brother in law can hook me up...

5) Battery...I may go with NiCad to save some cash (my brother in law probably has a NiCad charger) what NiCad setuo would you recommend?

6) Servo...will I need a new one? if so any specs you advise...

Long post, lots of questions...one of the big RC stores here is having a big sale so I might make out with good stuff at a good price but I need to be specific about what I'm ordering.

(You've been a great help!)

<mod edit - text removed to comply with site rules>