RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite ARF Mig29
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Ro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite ARF Mig29

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

Hey Craig,

If not using hydraulic fluid I would only use baby oil as it is mineral oil. The silicone used in the rc car shocks is very thick and will not be something you would want to use in a hydraulic system.
I'm no pro at any of this stuff but just my 2c mate.
Hi Ro,

Actually, the car shock oil comes in a whole range of weights/viscosities and the lower weight stuff is very low viscosity.....less than the hydraulic fluid. I am wondering what sort of seals these cylinders have as that is the main determinant of what type of oil you can run. If they are standard O-rings, I would not be using anything that is mineral oil based as it will dissolve the O-rings eventually. Silicone oil would be safe to use on the other hand.

I must stress that I am no hydraulics expert but I have about 15 rc cars so I know a little when it comes to shock oil .

Craig.

Hey Craig,

I just picked up that new MP9 team edition so I can get in on some of the 8th scale buggy racing in Germany! Been many years so should be a nice change for a bit.

I never knew mineral oil would break down O-rings. I hear Mark Froehn "CompArf Rep" uses baby oil with no problems and has over 50 flights last time I spoke to him.
I rebuild one of my cylinders due to the fact it was leaking but never inspected the seals or anything. "Hysol work perfect for resealing the threads on your rams if needed"

Ro