Thread: RC Surfer
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 11:00 AM
TechyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

More on leaks

Those darn pesky leaks.

I have also tried covering the screw heads with this gummy material called funtack (can be found in hardware stores where tape and glue are found). This stuff is typically used by kids for hanging posters. This stuff worked pretty well in frash water but I think the salt water shrinks it and makes it fall off. I'm not sure because my screws heads were not leaking so I stopped using this.

I have also tried sealing the prop shaft with ordinary bath caulk where the shaft meets the hull but the salt water seems to shrink this as well and makes it come loose.

I am going to try plumbers putty next on the sahft to see how this works. If you do not seal the prop shaft, you will get water inside the hull. I don't think the board will sink but it makes it heavier and then the board becomes much slower in the water and your battery will drain faster.

So, one thing I did find which works pretty well:. Electrical tape ! I outline the entire deck seal area with this after I screw the deck down as a preventitive measure. Maybe placing some small peices of this over the screw heads will work.

Of course this is a one time use application. once you remove it to replace the battery, you need to put fresh tap in place.

Here are some more pictures of the funtack over a screw head and electrical tape.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35721.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1226288