RCU Forums - View Single Post - Two bolts on main shaft.... special steel or not?
Old 07-03-2009, 05:20 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two bolts on main shaft.... special steel or not?

firefli,

There is an easy way to check the feathering shaft without taking it all the way apart....

Just remove either main blade, and turn the screw in the grip of the removed main blade (it's 1.5 mm), this will turn the feathering shaft....then watch the remaining blade for any movement or wobble. If there is movement, the shaft is bent. If it' nice and steady as you are turning the shaft, then you are OK, the shaft is fine.

I used to take both blades off to check it, but it was pointed out to me that leaving the other blade on will magnify any problem with the shaft, making it easier to find a slightly bent shaft...it doesn't take much to mess up the flying characteristics of the heli...

The servo gears should be easy to check...just pop the links off of each one, and check that the servo arm moves very smoothly, without binding, jumping, grinding, or feeling rough. (do this while the heli is unpowered). If you feel something that is not smooth, it's probably a good idea to further inspect that servo by taking it off and apart to inspect the gears.

The tailshaft is pretty easy...just hold the heli very still, and rotate the main blades/rotor head clockwise, and watch the tailshaft very carefully for any movement that might indicate that it is bent. Usually it is obvious if it is. It can be very, very slilghtly bent, and not be visible with this check, but most times, this will suffice. Some guys go all out and check it with a dial indicator, but I have found that the visual I just detailed is pretty reliable...

BTW, if you guys need just the "jesus bolts" ...the screws that break off/bend in the mainshaft, here ya go, in quantity;

http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/cm2012.html

Or, if you would like stainles steel...stronger ones...

http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info...roducts_id/281

They can also be found at most local hobby shops, under the DuBro name of products....they are 2mm x 12mm....

Hope this helps!

Glenn