RCU Forums - View Single Post - Questions, Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:15 PM
PEERPSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Questions, Questions

I'll see if I can find my order for WHH on the flex shaft, it will have the dimensions. What I did is follow the instructions on their site for the solderless flex cable. It worked out fine. If you're planning to change to collet do that first as the length may be different.

I drilled out, on the vice, the bushings. One of the bushings pushed out so I had to drill that one in the lathe. Truth be told I should have done both in the lathe.

In the end I've ended up making a new bushing just yesterday. Measurements are 48.2 mm long 7.95 mm OD diameter. 3 mm on the thrust end is stepped up to 11 mm OD for a thrust surface. Press that in on the side the propellor mounts. I can send you a drawing if you like.

The prop shaft they sent with the solderless flex shaft was .2495 inches so you need to ream the hole in the bushing to a .250 and then sand the prop shaft for best fit.

One other thing, they only make two sizes of prop shaft, I thought my prop shaft would be custom sized as well. Turned out it was about 5/8" to long. They sent some plastic thrust washers out with the prop nut they short shipped. I put one on the drive side and the rest on the prop side. Be sure to ask for the thrust washers.

My mistake was thinking that the shaft was cooled and lubed by the water. Not so it's surface drive after all. So now I use the center saver grease on all the wear/load surfaces.

Ran the boat tonight in fact. Drive worked fine. In fact I was getting a wobble at speed which didn't seem to be there tonight. I'm thinking the play in the shaft, it was excessive 25 thou, might have been causing that.

Not a perfect outing though. Water was rough and I should have known better. Flipped it end for end and then rolled landing right side up. Unfortunately the roll claimed the wing on the back of the hatch and the end for end took it's toll on the rudders. One got a bit of a bend, 1/32 deflection along it's length. It also broke the servo horn.

Being as I'm braver then smart I ran again with one servo. After a few laps I figured if I ran perpindicular to the waves it seemed the most stable. So I gave her full throttle and yep over it went again. This time upside down. Decided to call it a night there!

On the plus side my CC Racing 2" band shipped Friday.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62138.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1229910