RCU Forums - View Single Post - Safety Violations
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Safety Violations

Coming up with rules, regulations, fines, or structure in a hobbyist type organization is a no-win situation. The most important thing is straight, honest communication about what is expected, when a behavior needs to be corrected, and why. In my clubs we typically have no rules unless it becomes a significant problem, at this point we will publish a 'social contract' that people agree to in good faith, for the benefit of all. This contract will contain some specific rules out of necessity (ie. resolving frequency conflicts) and some more vague rules like to treat all other members respectfully and not engage in ad-hominem attacks or berate newbies for general lack of knowledge of the hobby.

Those who do not wish to play by the rules in good faith are out. It doesn't matter how much experience you have, how much of a 'pro' you are, or how long you've been in the club. Seniority and elitism creates its own problems.

Again, Communication is key, members are always expected to communicate first if someone is breaking the rules. To tell the offender in plain, honest language what he is doing wrong, why it is wrong, and how to properly behave or operate. Everything needs to be done in good faith, and once a behavior is corrected people need to move on rather than hold grudges or feel personal spite. There will be times when even a veteran or pro has to be reminded and it is important to not let ego get in the way just fix it and move on. This has worked for every hobby-type club I'm in, RC or not.

When I was younger I was in clubs that tried to do the reverse. The end result was that more and more of our time was spent with bureaucracy or thinking up new rules, new regulations, etc. to adhere to and less time actually spent playing (ie. flying) in general. Creating rules, exceptions to rules, more rules, definitions, structures, charts, ranks, etc; eventually most of us grew disenchanted and started another club. We learned how to operate in a communication-first, people-first, and good-faith manner, creating rules and protocol only when absolutely necessary. Problem people, ones that could not work toward a common goal in good faith; they were out and would simply not be invited to the next event.