RCU Forums - View Single Post - Global Skyraider Repair
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 05:33 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Global Skyraider Repair

Sad to say, I have a reason to add a post to this Crash & Rebuild Forum.

The Skyraider I worked on for over a year (post here: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7276786/tm.htm]Global Skyraider Build[/link]) is no longer flying...

Went down July 5, 2009 at the MARCS field. I had just finished up re-tuning the engine and did another range check with the engine running and all was good (100 feet away with the antenna down).

Flew her around the field for a few laps and checked out the trim. I had just installed a new rudder pushrod but didn't even need any new trims.

Nice smooth throttle response, nice straight loop and decided to make another lap before landing.

Heading east so I could make a turn into the wind for a gear inspection pass I lost control… No response on the controls and the plane started a slow right turn. I got some intermittent control and managed to turn around, line her up facing west over the runway and dropped the gear.

I was kind of hopeful that I just had one bad radio hit and I could level the wings and fly her down to a landing. I did not put the flaps down or make any other changes.

Then she banked one wing down and nosed over. Crashed into the runway from about 100 feet up…

The gear is torn out and the wing kind of banged up. The nylon bolts broke free of the wing and that probably saved a lot of damage. There is one big hole in the top sheeting, but the wing is not destroyed.

The fuselage is shattered in several places and broken in half. The engine mount is broken and the engine has a cracked valve cover, bent needle assembly and bashed up crankshaft threads (probably bent also)…

So, I don’t know for sure what caused the glitch (s). I’ll send the receiver in to JR and check if there is something broken. I checked what I could and the ailerons and throttle were working afterward. The rudder and elevator were stripped out with the tail being torn apart.

After some more post-crash review – and mourning time I think that I may be able to get her back together [literally]...

The left side broke behind the wing hold down and did not split very far forward. The right Side broke along the fuselage doubler joint and split under the thick balsa stringer about 1/2-way forward to the firewall.

The rear half [again literally] is split down the right side between the turtle deck and the side. The left side and turtle deck seem to be one piece.

The break between the front and rear broke the top sheeting right off the turtle deck former.

I think it may glue back together with some attention to securing the sheeting on the turtle deck. I will double up inside the fuselage where the sides split. This will probably be done with a lot of Gorilla Glue. I like the way it foams and fills in gaps.

There is a split or crease right in front of the vertical stabilizer. It feels solid but there is definitely a wrinkle in the MonoKote between the filler blocks and the turtle deck. I do not see any cracks beneath the horizontal stab. At this time, I think it may be the result of the turtle deck sheeting and not from the tail fins pulling loose.

So – The plan of attack is to work my way from the back forward and then from the nose to the middle and get everything solid. Then, hopefully the two halves will join as one solid piece.

My Radio (TX, RX and some damaged servos) are on there way to Horizon and the engine is going to Global Services. Hopefully it can all be repaired pretty easy.

Here are a few photos. Two of the last warbird event in June, one of a landing pass last week and several of her “current condition”. The last photo is not the best, but I highlighted the area of where the covering is creased.

With luck, this will go back together well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55385.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1231581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56074.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1231582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99714.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.0 KB