RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anyone Else Having Trouble With Super Monokote?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Else Having Trouble With Super Monokote?

Curious...I've been covering my kit and plan built models with Super Monokote for a looong time and this last covering job has to be the most frustrating use of this material I've ever experienced. Bought three new rolls of Monokote: one Pearl Green and two rolls of White. Build was sanded as usual and wiped down to remove as much dust as possible. Applied a thin coat of Balsarite for Film (as I always have done) and poked the usual many tiny pin holes for the air to escape into all the wood surfaces. I was ready to go!! Right from the get-go this Monokote was an absolute bear to apply without LOTS of puffing and bubbling. I knocked the heat down to 225 and it still went on badly. Used the wadded sock method, the sock on the iron method, the stretch and heat and press down method. What a mess!! The Super Monokote was new, the Balsarite was new, and even the heating irons (Coverite) were new. I've been using this product for many years and this is by far the first time I ever considered throwing the fuselage away and building another because it looks so bad; thankfully I haven't done the wing yet. I've always enjoyed the covering before and am at an absolute loss here. Any ideas or comments?