landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pulse xt 60 crash

ORIGINAL: WestCoastFlyer

ORIGINAL: Adui

ORIGINAL: reincarnate
~Snip~
You also say flaperons. This can (will) cause instability at low speeds. Try going the other way with about 3-5 degree of spoilerons. It'll help with the stall speed...a little.
~Snip~
Eh? I am fairly new to this and wont argue with you, but I will ask a question. I was led to believe that flaps on full sized aircraft are in fact used to reduce the stall speed, effectively allowing controlled flight at lower air speeds. So if this is the case why would flaps / flaperons make a model aircraft less stable where they makes full sized aircraft more stable?
(Apologies for the thread hijack, but I really wanted to know this)
Flaps in full size airplanes extend out for more wing area. Flaps in model airplanes are shortish inboard ailerons that move down in unison. Not the same.

Some full size planes have flaps that just drop down and others have flaps that drop down and out. On models the flaps normally only drop down to lessen complexity of installation. The width of flaps on models can vary greatly. On my Trojan, they are wider than the ailerons, on my Piper Pawnee they are the same width, and on the Cherokee they are narrower than the ailerons. On the Cherokee the flaps take up at least half the wing and the ailerons are almost barn door size.

Bruce