RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official DB-01 Durga Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 02:14 AM
dimblum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DB-01 Durga Thread

ORIGINAL: malice23

heres a funny question...are you using the belt tensioners? because I know the kit comes with those built in tensioners in the front and rear diffs. If I use the belt tensioners how much do I tighten the belts from diff part? I dont want to snap them due to over tightening
I found it is best to take your time setting the belt tension.. The belt should never sag, so loose is 'always' bad, however too tight can be equally bad.. It seems the sweet spot is to find a firm belt tension that still allows the pulleys to spin free. If the belts are too tight then it will pull tight against the layshaft and diff causing excess friction.. The belts are still fine if they are a little tight (they are very well made), but the drive-train will not spin as freely as it could.

If you can, try setting the belt tension with the covers off and the motor pinion removed. This will make it easier to tell how freely the drive-train will spin and how much tension is too much [you don't want the belts to 'twang' like a guitar string - that is wayyyy too tight].

The additional hop-up belt tensioners for the motor mount assembly are also nice. They help prevent the belts from skipping around the layshaft pulleys.. The hop-up tensionsers should not touch the belts, its better if they are set 'extremely' close so that no additional tension is applied.

Hope this helps.