RCU Forums - View Single Post - AquaCraft Alligator RTR
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 11:40 AM
deslok113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft Alligator RTR

Unfortunately the Gator really isn't a boat that is good for beginners. Get w/ your friend that knows about nitro engines you are probably going to need his help. Super Tigre engines have rough breakins some very rough. Mine had a cylinder head leakthe fix is to pull the engine then pull the head and there is a spur on the head shim that may need to be grinded slightly w/ fine sand paper. You have to grind just enough to stop the leak, any more will change the compression ratio of the engine and it won't run right. The manual said 4 turns out on the high speed needle, tech support told me 1.5 turns out, (to tune the engine you need to remember in is clockwise called leaning out=less fuel more air, and ccw is richening more fuel less air.) Try 3 turns out first, if it won't start try 2.5 or 2 then, 1.5, 1.25, 1.125, 1 until it starts (most manuals and books will tell you to change the HS needle in 1/8th increments (0.125)). You might want to read something about tuning nitro engines and nitro engine breakin; it wouldn't hurt. My Gator runs best at about 1.125 to 1.25 turns out but I live in south Louisiana it is very humid here (and below sea level). Some people have complained about Super Tigre engines on here, and I'll admit that they are some bad running engines until they are properly broken in, but once it is broken in you will see a difference. My Super Tigre starts up usually on the first spin and runs like a champ.
If you are planning on running on grass, remember this: the best time to run it is right after you mow the lawn. Do not run the boat up hill and only run for about 5 mins as the engine will get hot!! Use the spit test, spit on the head, if the spit boils away immediately and rapidly the engine is too hot pinch the fuel line to shut it down immediately. If the spit sits there a bit then boils off not so rapidly then you are allright.