RCU Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter flyer get out of my *&%$%^ way
Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 PM
ctdahle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helicopter flyer get out of my *&%$%^ way

Hey, do you guys know how a snowboarder says hello to a skier?

"Whoa, sorry dude, I didn't see ya..."

I saw my first model helicopter in the early seventies. A DuBro ?505? and back then it was so amazing that anyone would even TRY to fly one, that everyone parked their planes to watch.

For a while, ski areas banished snowboarders to some remote part of the mountain until they realized that snowboarders were becoming a sizeable part of their customer base.

Here at 8000 feet, I am told helicopter models are marginal and so far I have resisted the urge to buy one, but when I see them, they sure look fun. If I was a dues paying member of a club, I'd be a bit upset if a helicopter was hovering over the runway, but if I was a helicopter pilot, I'd be equally miffed if I couldn't fly. Seems like there ought to be a way to share the field and maybe it involves designating dedicated helicopter areas and frequencies. Certainly though, helicopters need to fly the designated traffic pattern, or stay well clear of fix wing operators, same as they are required to do under the full scale rules I think.

There, my two cents worth on a topic about which I know nothing!