RCU Forums - View Single Post - I could really use some help.
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 AM
phillipmorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I could really use some help.

Gads, sounds like your starting with a big ship, like to see you begin with the 2 meter size at the start...great 2nd flight, wonderful !!

I usually set most of my planes abit nose heavy for safety, not that its correct but less likely to have the uncontrolled tail heavy issue..then gradually move the COG to correct or balanced position...

Many also do the power off glide test, throw it straight into the breeze, keep things level and note the glide, also helps make any trim adjustments...

I personally usually give some low throttle, toss and let the plane settle, low it can turn on you if the nose rises be ready, do a gentle rise and safe elevation turn it around and land, again do the required trim

Sailplanes have a rather slow response, not a bad idea to touch the stick and release to prevent overcontrol at the start, a rather pulsing of the stick, if things are in trim it nearly flys by itself....

Ground effect, on landing you likely need slightest downstick or downtrim usually required as it comes in low for touchdown, handles abit different than when at elevation, be ready for adjusting here, is normal....

Be sure you have a sizeable area to fly, these gliders have a tendency to float along ways before landing, after efficient you will be able to fly in tighter quarters later on...

I'm far from the skilled sailplane flyer, but these were my very first entry into the RC many years ago, I'm still hooked on gliders, never tire chasing thermals, long flights are a wonderful bonus, have to love 'em.....

BEST...

Years back
Heavy Top Cat 2 meter, thermaled an hour, am hoooked !!
99 inch ARF prefab, fast assembly, flew great
Currently Radian, is off the charts, RTF a beauty, responds to medium light lifts...
on order Cularis.....