RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seagull Yak?
Thread: Seagull Yak?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Crewdog

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Seagull Yak?

ORIGINAL: flycolorado

Sorry, I totaly miss stated myself you are right. I had the right train of thought it just de-railed while I was typing. Yes move the CG further forward by adding weight to the nose (ie the ignition batt) more like 5'' from the leading edge. You may have saved my plane! (I hope I would have figured it out on the CG machine).

Thanks

PS. I just turned 40 a couple of weeks ago, can I blame it on old age yet!

UUMMM let me think, NOT, lol. I'm ahead of you in the age department, but then aviation is what I do for a living. So when I read your post, it jumped off the page at me. I drew a couple of diagrams before I responded, as I wanted to make sure I was correct. Then when you came back the second time, I "went in search of" lol. (The ole adage of "get the book out"). At that point it was time to find "data" to back up my words.

In the end, I like you, am glad we have the issue straight and you didn't loose the plane because of an error in balancing. There are enough other gremlins that are there to get us, don't need to ad that one to the list.

Hope moving the CG forward helps you. I have mine about ready to fly with an OS 120 4 stroke. The last thing I have to check is the engine thrust line. From the posts of others here, this plane seems to be critical in reference to the engine offset. I'm not sure, but you may want to check that on your plane too? Seems like most are running at or close to zero degrees of up/down thrust offset.

Fly Safe,

CD