RCU Forums - View Single Post - Two bolts on main shaft.... special steel or not?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:48 AM
thefirefli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two bolts on main shaft.... special steel or not?

Well, I finally took it outside and gave it a try. I burned through one battery with happy hovering. Everything was working good and it handled much more like the flight sim. However, the next day I decided to try it again and for some reason as soon as I started to throttle up it went haywire. It seemed like some how the blades got stuck on something, the body started to spin, andit tipped onto it's side. I could not figure out what caused that. I ended up having to replace the feathering shaft again and Ifound a missing tooth on the top gear. I know the teeth were fine before because I checked it when I replaced the main shaft. I figure the tooth must have broken off from the blade strike. So far I have not been able to fly this heli very much. I've spent more time searching for parts and repairing it. I'm especially perplexed since this latest blade strike seemed unavoidable. The blades were spread out, I throttle up very slowly and I had just given it enough to start turning when this happened. Could the blades have somehow gotten stuck onthe flybar? Could it have been the gyro acting strange? It seemed fine yesterday. Ieven hovered today once before I had this mishap. As fun as it is to repair and learn how everything goes together, I'd really rather be able to fly it. Enough venting.

To the moderator:
If you want to move this to it's own thread, please do. Idon't want to hijack this thread anymore. It seemed like one thing lead to the next and I was torn between continuing my experience here or starting a new thread.

Thanks
Robert