RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

FB....I thought you'd be interested in this. I wanted to be sure we had discussed all the other topics before we tackled the TBX-1 plans.

With the help of Jeff Petroski, (who came to the Asheville SPA contest...you should have been there ), the BLUEPRINT plans are currently in Charlotte being professionally copied. According to Jeff, even though they were faded, they think they will be able to get a good drawing. I should have them back soon.

I have several rolls of tracing paper with templates that I plan to take to Kinkos today...hoping for the best. I will contact Helen and ask for her permission to send copies of the plan to whoever requests one, assuming the plan comes back in good enough condition to build from. I have no idea about cost, but again according to Jeff, once scanned into their computer, plans can be ordered as needed from this company.

If you have ever built an original Perigee, you know that Tom's personally drawn plans are detailed and sometimes complicated to follow. The same is true of the TBX-1. I'm sure he knew what he was doing for his own personal use, but I sometimes get lost as I study them...they will require a lot of study to sort out, (but that's part of the fun) and decipher...but it can be done. The plans are very "busy", and look more like blueprints from Grumman or Boeing, than a simple model plane.

Again...more to come. It's nice to see the interest out there for a 44 year old model design. I think part of it is the "anti-ARF" sentiment...the need to be someone who is building something not only different, but unique. When the Simla plan is finished, it will be the same way. We may be able to reproduce a one-of-a-kind airplane very near and dear to its extraordinary owner.

Duane
Interested isn't the word I would use, take it up a few notches and you'll get the idea that I'm a big fan of Tom Brett. My Perigee restoration project is in the final painting stages for a late August completion. I also have a set of Nimbus plans and I know what you mean about the detail Tom put into his work. I'm extermely happy to know that the TBX-1 plans are being copied. Please advise when a set will be available (also cost). Thanks for keeping me in mind for this Duane, I'm still blown away about this piece of news!

BTW - I wish I could have been at Asheville, I'll plan on it next year. Sounds like a excellent SPA event!

FB