RCU Forums - View Single Post - Belly tank for more fuel capacity on Yellow F-15
Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Belly tank for more fuel capacity on Yellow F-15

Well, encouraged by the west coast (time zones are wonderful...) feedback, I went ahead and connected a lab DC supply to the fuel can pump and simulated a 16 oz/min drain rate, and found that the saddles compress/collapse a little (about 1/2") and then stay put .. and the fuel then runs fine.

There was a small variation in pump current draw as the fluids were pumped out, but it was not dramatic. I suspect it is within the parameters that the ECU/pump feedback loop can handle (well at least I hope so...).

Still may think about it a bit before flying it .. but it's looking up. Creepy stuff to be going on in the air as the plane flies...

I thought that the one disadvantage with the Kevlar tanks was they were not happy being over or underpressured, since they don't flex so easily and the seams can crack... I have one of the nice Gary Mueller ones in my Reaction 54 and I take it easy on the fuel fill rate for that exact reason.

Dave