RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Bin watching you guys, and taking notes. First saw Nimbus in one of them Yank magazines when I was real small, and it was all swoopy and cool looking...40 odd years later and the original Hobby Helpers plan turned up in the possession of one of the local flyers...then the A.M. with the Perigee drawings and you can guess the rest, both models are in the hangar and been flying for the last 6~7 years. Couple of months ago, conversing at the LHS with various other shoppers, and one of them volunteers that he has a couple of unopened Perigee kits...You just never know whats in your own back yard, so you guys need to start scratching around, the stuff is about, you just don't know who has it, that's all.
Evan.
A little bit of "digging" sometimes reveals a lot.

I took the TBX-1 template tracings (on velum) for copying yesterday and got some nice copies. Thanks Bill for the "heads up"

Speaking of the Perigee, there were two more "scrolls" included with the TBX-1 drawings. These turned out to be unlabeled drawings of what I'm pretty sure is the Perigee. Looks like Tom enjoyed working with rolls of drafting velum which are approximately 18" high and are differing lengths. The "Perigee" plans are made up of about five separate sheets...two for the wing, two for the fuselage, and an extra sheet or two of "misc". These will be taken to the local "blueprint shop" today, and I'll post them later.

We have some interesting, (cool), drawings coming up soon to discuss. Tom apparently was a person who believed in keeping many of the supporting drawings and notes, (sometimes drawn on both sides of the paper), used in the design process. A few of these sheets mean absolutely nothing to me, but I'll post them to see what everyone else thinks, and if we might be able to figure out what Tom intended. These and the color scheme drawings were part of the many sheets of drawings that came bundled up together with the plans in each "scroll".

There is a series of velum drawings, (roughly 8"X12") that show what I believe to be early renderings of the TBX, and possible color schemes. When we are able to look back at these sketches and see him thinking things through, it tends to "humanize" the whole process.....you're not just looking at a finished design; instead you're sharing in the development after the fact.

Stay tuned...

Duane