RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

Duane,
Keeping everything organized as Tom did is the sign of a good engineer. It sounds like many of the individual drawings and sketches you referred to are overlays (or layers as we now call them) to do detail drawings of a particular item such as a bulkhead overlay drawing over the main layout. You might try putting these items over the main drawing to see if that is true; sort of like a jigsaw puzzle. I'm also happy that his wife did not do what so many others do like toss it out or give it away to be lost forever.

Thanks for following up on Tom's designs, there's a wealth of information there that must be documented. I'll certainly be in line for a set of plans for the Simla, TBX-1 and other TB designs when they become available.

As an aside, you might recall the Dwight Hartman Zeus, Zeus Mk. II and other glass fuselages he produced in the mid sixties. Dwight also did RC boats as well and his products were quite popular among the boating set. After he passed away, Loyalhanna Dockyard purchased the boat molds but did not purchase the airplane molds. I contacted Loyalhanna a few months ago and inquired about the airplane items. It seemed that for some reason they could not agree on the acquisition and the molds went to someone in the area who was a friend of Dwight. That's as far as I got in the trail. I think I still have the email and if anyone is interested in following up, I can forward them to you. So, there's another piece of RC history that's still out there somewhere.