RCU Forums - View Single Post - DL 50 low compressions, low power, bad idle
Old 07-30-2009, 03:58 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DL 50 low compressions, low power, bad idle

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I'd run down to the auto parts store and obtain same chemical carb cleaner dip. Drop the hard parts into it for an over night soak. Most of what's there will be dissolved by the next day. Then I'd use a very stiff nylon or brass brush, or Scotchbrite pad to remove any residual deposits. Rinse with water, blow dry with a compressor, then coat everything with some mix oil. I would not use any abrasives inside the cylinder. If there is a loose ring to cylinder fit now, it would be worse after using an abrasive. Plus you have the issue of abrasive grit getting into places you would not want it to be.

I would use a stock ring. There will be no benefit to using a Bowman ring in this instance. I have some new DL 100 (50cc/side) rings that I can't do anything with since I switched to a 111. Jody might get a little ticked (he'll get over it) but if you can wait till next week I could mail one to you. I have to get back to where the rings are...
This is exactly what should be done if you reuse the old parts, my only concernwould bewith your description of low compression from new and never improving. Without proper inspection by experienced eyes you may have exactly what you had when it was new, low compression due to a problem with the cylinder for instance that should have never reached the consumer in the first place.

Regardless, you can't hurt anything by doing this and your new ring would be able to be reused in a new jug if it wasn't run for more than a gallon or so. BTW, if you do have an undesirable anomaly in your cylinder and then go at it by hand with sandpaper it will only make it worse than it was before. Sandpaper,...... bad.

Now I have to eat beans and hotdogs for rest of the week, if I could only sell a couple more rings......