RCU Forums - View Single Post - What do you LIKE the most about this hobby
Old 06-26-2003, 06:24 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you LIKE the most about this hobby

The rare moments when everything is going right and everyone is watching:

On Lake Wisconsin, I was flying my float equipped Kadet MKII, from my boat and I accumulated a 6 boat audience. After several tank fulls and about 50 "Splash-N-Go's" I taxied up to the boat and shut the engine off. Everyone in the 6 boats were applauding and cheering.

Same plane at a Boy Scout camp. Everyone in club stayed home except for me and the Boy Scout leader (a fellow club member) because of a little weather problem called a "tornado watch". 3 foot rollers on the lake. 60 inquisitive Boy Scouts delayed the inevitable for 2 hours until right before dark. Take off results in instant flip over. Blow water out of engine and crank up again. Club member would like to hand launch, but doesn't know where to grab the plane. Transmitter in left hand, I see a hole and grab the plane in my right. Club member looks at me and shakes his head and says "no way". I hammer the throttle to full and toss the plane to a beautiful hand launch. Fly for the kids for about 5 minutes while the club member and I decide how to get down. I end flight and luckily put the plane right between 2 waves 10 feet from shore. I quickly gun the plane to get it to shore before another wave comes. Then I beach it perfectly and kill the motor. More thunderous applause and cheering.

20 plus perfect touch and go's in a row with the "peanut gallery" full and watching.

Putting on a perfect show with your profile fun fly. The glider guys and the new students bottom jaws are on the grass because they've never seen anything like that before. The students are extremely jealous because the Sudokhoi can land waaaayyyyy slower than their trainers.....

Too many more to mention, but those are the few. Those are the times that make the pile drive crash and other problem days all seem worth it.

Oh, almost forgot. The first time you land your PBF intentionally!