RCU Forums - View Single Post - Programming Futaba 6EX for an Axe 400
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Programming Futaba 6EX for an Axe 400

Thanks again, Dick.

I too, had to shorten up the tail rotor pitch pushrod before I could get the bird to stay more or less pointed in one direction. Also, the switch on the gyro had to be reversed, the gain turned all the way up (on the gyro) and the gain bumped up to 50% in the Tx before it was controllable in yaw. Before reversing the switch, it would do lovely pirouettes on the skids during spin up.

I'm not sure it will hold a heading yet, as during my last test session my 1250 mAh battery tripped the low voltage protection in the ESC. It was doing ok at about 3-4 inches altitude but I was still fighting the heading with the stick and had all the right rudder trim pumped in. This time I cranked on the T/R pushrod until I could see some positive "turn right" pitch when the rudder stick and the trim were centered. As you pointed out, that seems to center the bellcrank.

I also had to lengthen one of the main rotor blade pitch adjustment links so that it would be 0 degrees pitch with a centered throttle stick and the flybar at 90 degrees to the M/R mast. (6 full turns. Now it's the same length as the other one.)

After the recharge I'll take another run at it. Meanwhile, I'm going to that website you provided. This bird is much easier to handle than my Pro 2. Things happen a lot slower. Sounds nice, too. The pro always sounded like a Road Ranger 15 speed that was low on oil.

Almost forgot: is the correct power up procedure as follows (this is how I've been doing it):
TX ON
Low rates to low, gyro switch down (off), throttle hold on
Bird ON
After all the beeping and chirping stops, gyro switch up (on), throttle hold off, fly.

I'm asking because I'm not sure I'm initializing the gyro correctly.

What's your opinion on shortening the aileron servo link one turn and lengthening the collective link one turn to build in some right hand swashplate tilt so as to counteract the T/R induced left hand drift? (I used trim for this on my Pro, but wonder if that's really correct.)

Here's a shot of it with the 1250 battery and 4 oz of lead to balance it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94075.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1252959