RCU Forums - View Single Post - Slowstiick assembly questions.
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 PM
kuplo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slowstiick assembly questions.

ORIGINAL: jdetray

A note about the GWS glue: It's a contact cement.

The correct way to use it is to apply a thin coating to both parts to be glued, wait until it's nearly dry, then bring the parts together. They will bond more or less instantly, so you have to get the positioning right the first time.

Having said that, I don't use it. It's 5-minute epoxy for me.

- Jeff

Thanks for the information. That would be why my first slowstick took so long to put together. I applied the GWS glue rather liberally to places like that fiberglass bar that sits on the rear of the main wing and it took like 2 days to fully cure and harden. I'm using Zap-0 CA+ supposedly safe on styrofoam and foam and now "odorless", and slow cure. So far so good with this stuff. Allows me enough time to reposition the item many times before it's "stuck" in place. Funny though, it seems to cure quite fast on my finger tips which always seem to get some on them.

I used the sandpaper on the rudder for the 45° angle and it IS the superior way of doing it over the exacto knife method. Can't for the life of me understand why they wouldn't suggest using sandpaper over an exacto knife in the instructions. So my rudder looks real nice, where as my rear wing looks like shnitzel, with a chunk cut out of it where the exacto slipped too deep, fortunately its covered by the tape so it shouldn't hurt anything.

I'll have to see if I can break the bolts and nuts free from where the tail is on the fueselage, I may have put them on too soon and superglued them into place, I'm pretty sure though that I should be able to crack them loose and then maybe slot one of the holes in the rear wing so as to reposition it to make it more square with the fueselage. I hope!