RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lanier Yak
Thread: Lanier Yak
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 06:43 PM
castlebravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lanier Yak

ORIGINAL: kochj

Oops! I mispoke! The cowl was fine (packed in a separate box) It was the Canopy, not the cowl that had fallen underthe plane durring shipping....
I am now waiting for a e-mail back from BME engines! 115cc 11 horsepower from a mere
4.2 pound engine! (I think this is not including the ignition or it may) I am thinking of placing it in the yak! Nuts?? Well I am thinking about the ZDZ 80 super.. this weighs about the same as the BME 115 and the price is very close , (I will not have tuned pipes) and a twin to boot! Just not sure on the demensions.....
Problem is though if I go with this set up (twice the price of a 50cc) I wouldn't have the loot left over to afford any hop ups (carbon fiber stuff) to make this plane lighter!!
Plus I am not sure if the engine would fit entirely in the cowl?

langster, How is the performance of the zdz 80? A detailed flight report would be great!
By the way I do have hinge pockets in the ruder on my Funtana 100X. I will let you know how it turns out as a bash it all next summer! Seems like it should hold fine but can't be sure of anything!
Justin
Well I know this post is 2 1/2 years old but I'm very courious to find out if you ever went this route or not. The reason I ask is I just picked up one of these (yak's) fully built for a song ($200). I know the guy who had it before and he had a DA-85 in it and said it flew great with this combo. I dont see any of the lightening mods and it appears he had the landing gear block issue because it has been replaced.
Now my interest in this post in particular is that this past weekend, I came across a BME 100 for next to nothing ($50). I figure the BME weighs about the same as the DA-85 and has approximately the same power if not a little less but, being a boxer, should be much smoother. I've trial fitted it and it fits....barely. I may have to relieve the cowl where the spark plugs are but we will see.
Who knows......it may turn out being a lead sled as I crank the wing loading up but I gotta try it. I did almost the same thing on my CG 77" Edge with a 3MM TOC 53 and it turned out to be my favoritest airplane in the whole fleet. Uplines are into space and it tames right down for the low stuff and landings.........like they say.....bigger is better!

CB