RCU Forums - View Single Post - CGRCJets A-10 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 AM
cgrcjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CGRCJets A-10 Build Thread

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Is there a block in the rudders for the horn and, if so, where? Is one of the horns in the kit for the rudders?

Did the prototypes have the fins glued to the tailplane or were they bolted on? Was any reinforcement employed at the joint?

Thanks
Answer:

There are no blocks in the rudders. There is a ply stretch that the hinges mount into and you will use these for hard point. The rudder control horns are the smallest besides the flaps. You will be able to tell these apart because the rudders only have 2 horns and the flaps have 4. You will cut out a slot big enough for the horn to fit in behind the ply. That goes for all horns besides flaps. This ply acts like a hardpoint and when glued to it in the inside and also to the outside skin, this will give it, its strength. The posts on the horns will go straight through the control surface and be glued to the inside of the opposing side. The posts may need some small trimming on the ends until the control horn fits all the way in and still hits the inside of the opposing side. Scuff the control horn up and apply thick ca glue on the whole post to where it is about to drip off. If you need to you can even drop some ca into the slot you had cut out just to make sure you are getting enough coverage and a good bond. Remember that the horn will need to be glued to the ply also. Drop the horn in and throw a beed of ca on the outside flange and kick it. Remember to scuff the outside skin as well where the horn goes in. It also may be easier to drill out the holes for the clevis to fit into before gluing the horns in place. I will try ang get some diagrams drawn up and post them. I put all my control horns in last after everything was hinged.

The rear verticle stabs just bolt on with 2 self tapping #6x1/2" screws. These will screw into the pre drilled holes that are in the side of the rear wing. I need to make up a template so it makes lining those holes up with the holes that need to be drilled into the verticle stab easier. You can trace the rear wing profile along with the holes and drop it into the wing recess on the verticle stab. to line these up. No other renforcements are needed.

chris